1000 MARINER DRIVE, KEY BISCAYNE, FLORIDA 33149
1000 MARINER DRIVE, KEY BISCAYNE, FLORIDA 33149
THE VILLAGE OF KEY BISCAYNEThe Village of Key Biscayne was named the #1 MOST ATTRACTIVE and BEST place to live in South Florida by South Florida Business Journal on August 18, 2019.
In 2019 Key Biscayne was one of the 10 (#5) safest municipalities in the entire State.
Key Biscayne is a unique small-town island community 10 minutes from a major city.
This affluent island community of 13,000 is an incorporated self-governing municipality with its own professionally run police force, fire department public works etc. Many families know each other and utilize their own golf carts, walk, bicycle or utilize the free electric vehicle local transport service to get around. The Village residents and visitors regularly are seen walking and jogging plus on bicycles, scooters, skateboards and a wide exotic car. The Village government website is http://keybiscayne.fl.gov
AMAZING RECREATIONAL AMENITIESKey Biscayne has an amazing array of amenities for public and exclusively for the use of residents which exceed those of the top condo or planned communities including:
- BEACHES – 5 miles of white sand beach with public access by way of 2 major parks (State & County) plus 5 Village controlled beach parks and 2 private clubs.
- Crandon County Park run by Miami-Dade County has almost every possible amenity http://www.miamidade.gov/parks/crandon.asp
- Bill Baggs State Park which is home of the historic lighthouse that is the oldest structure in Miami-Dade County and one of the oldest in the State. https://www.floridastateparks.org/parks-and-trails/bill-baggs-cape-florida-state-park
- There are 5 Village controlled beach parks and beach access.
- BEACH AMENITIES – There is are restaurants and bars on the beach in both the public and private areas along with chair, kayak, canoe, paddle boat, snorkels and masks etc. that can be rented on the Key Biscayne public beach.
- GOLF – A world class 18-hole Golf Course that had been used by the PGA for the Buick Senior Classic and other competitive events. The golf course is among the most difficult and scenic in the Country. It also has a driving range and large clubhouse with food and pro-shop services. See http://golfcrandon.com
- MARINAS – A County operated full-service Marina plus 2 privately owned marinas nearby on the Rickenbacker Causeway to Key Biscayne. http://tropicalanglersclub.org/miami-marinas.htm
- MULTIPURPOSE VILLAGE GREEN – The 10.5 acre central Village Green (Key Biscayne’s Central Park) is covered with artificial turf and used for all types of community activities. It is also outfitted for various types of sports and used as an event space for public holiday celebrations, art shows holiday festivities plus other Village sponsored community events. Village Parks and Recreation department see http://keybiscayne.fl.gov/index.php?src=gendocs&ref=ParksRec
- ADDITIONAL PLAYING FIELDS and PARKS – The Village has invested in creating sports field at the 2 privately run schools that were paid for by the Village and shared with the schools. There are several small “pocket parks” or public green spaces in various places around the community plus 5 beach access points or parks.
- COMMUNITY CENTER – The 50,000 sq. ft. Community Center offers spaces and programs almost every conceivable activity for children, teens, families and seniors targeted are certain interests and time slots. For a complete description and schedule of the activities visit the dedicated website www.ActiveIslander.com
A partial description of the spaces and activities of the Community Center is below
– Full regulation basketball court that can be broken into separate courts for practices or other activities and events
– A climbing and exploring space for young children
– 3 large well-equipped game rooms for active participatory games and electronic sports that are equipped for and outfitted by age and gender.
– Toddler rooms staffed for childcare
– A space for young children with a soft floor and constant monitoring by staff where a variety of activities are offered for young children.
– 4 yoga, dance and exercise rooms with classes for adults throughout the day.
– 2 Spinning and group exercise spaces
– A large and well-equipped gym where people can do a variety of exercises alone or with their own trainers or trainers that are on staff.
– 2 theatre and rehearsal spaces where live plays and concerts are performed, or movies are shown along with lectures and enrichment talks.
– 2 well equipped art rooms with a variety of mediums are offered and classes are given throughout the day.
– A senior’s councilor and activity director who arranges trips and in-house activities and cultural offerings.
– Free transportation is offered for is Village and residents around the island for seniors and their aids in a regular sedan as well.
– Several professional activity directors plus part time and volunteer staff is provided for children’s and family activities plus afterschool programs for team and individual sports and other activities for Village residents.
– The Community Center has an Olympic sized swimming pool where daily activities are conducted plus training and competitions are held.
– And even more is offered. Please refer to www.ActiveIslander.com
- LARGE PLAYGROUND AND PARK – A youth park oriented toward young children with several play areas equipped with several types of play apparatus.
- DOG PARKS – There are 2 fenced dog parks with separate areas for small and large dogs with room for them to run and places where the owners can sit. There are also 2 off leash beach dog parks on the adjoining island of Virginia Key as well.
- TENNIS – The Village and County parks on Key Biscayne together offer a total of 32 public tennis courts including a facility operated by the professional tennis associate in the former Miami Open ground that is now a training facility. http://www.miamidade.gov/Parks/crandon-tennis.asp
In addition, there are 16 private tennis courts that are part of the condominium complexes and the clay courts at the Ritz Carlton where paid lessons are offered.
- NATURE CENTER AND MUSIUM – The Marjory Stoneman Douglas Nature Center and Museum is on the beach and offers regular tours on land and in the water.
- GARDENS OF CRANDON PARK BOTANICAL PARK – This County facility houses a wide variety of plans and animals on what was formerly the County Zoo grounds that is now devoted to passive recreation and observing the natural beauty of the island.
- OUTDOOR EXCERCISE AND JOGGING – Key Biscayne offers numerous jogging and exercise trails in the Village, County and State Parks all of which have a beautiful natural setting https://www.mapmywalk.com/us/key-biscayne-fl
IN VILLAGE TRANSPORTATION OPTIONSWALKABLE VILLAGE – At 1 square mile in size the Village is walkable with everything within easy reach by foot. There are shade and other trees shielding the sidewalks. https://www.mapmywalk.com/us/key-biscayne-fl/
FREE TRANSPORT AROUND KEY BISCAYNE – The Village also offers free rides on the Freebei-on-the-Key service which has 4 electric vehicles. 2 of which constantly circle the Key while 2 come to pick up them drop off riders at their destination. https://www.kbcf.org/resources/key-transportation/freebee-on-the-key/
FREE RIDES FOR SENIORS – The Senior program of the Village offers free sides in a sedan for seniors (over 60) and their aids or staff within the island.
PUBLIC TRASIT SERVICES – There is also County Bus Service that runs every 30 minutes to the Brickell Avenue Metrorail Station and Downtown Miami. http://www.miamidade.gov/transit/library/routes/102.pdf
BICYCLE RENTALS – Key Biscayne has LimeBike as its exclusive rental company which provides an additional level of convenience when requested. http://bikekeybiscayne.org/
USE OF BICYCLES – Key Biscayne is a “Bike Friendly Community” The use of bicycles in the Village is common. The Village is a popular, attractive, safe and picturesque ride from the mainland. Its popularity has led to the creation of the bicycle tack and dirt bicycle course on the neighboring Virginia Key. There are 3 bicycle shops in the Village plus several restaurants that cater to bicycles.
EXCELLENT “A” RATED SCHOOLSMAST ACADEMY – This 6th through 12th grade Charter School is a Nationally Recognized School of Excellence. Mast is a charter school meaning it is privately owned and operated but free to Miami-Dade residents. Since Mast was partially built utilizing funding provided by the Village of Key Biscayne the children of residents are guarantees half the spots in this highly sought-after school. https://gomakos.org/
KEY BISCAYNE ELEMENTARY – Miami-Dade School System has been the recipient of numerous awards for its performance and achievements. Its superintendent has been named the top school superintendent in the country for several of the past 10 years. http://www.dadeschools.net/ Key Biscayne Elementary is among the best of all Miami-Dade schools because of parent participation and voluntary private funding for study materials and classroom assistance. http://keybiscayne.dadeschools.net/
ST AGNES ACADEMY – This private Catholic Pre-K- through 8th grade school which is located on Key Biscayne which costs $12,500 annually. http://stakb.org/
PRE-SCHOOLS – There are a total of 5 pre-school programs within the Village
RELIGIOUS INSTITUTIONSMost religious denominations are represented in the Village with the following buildings:
- St. Agnes Catholic Church
- Key Biscayne Presbyterian Church
- St. Christopher’s Episcopal Church
- Chabad Jewish Study Center of Key Biscayne
SHOPPING AND RESTAURANTSThe Key Biscayne Chamber of Commerce publishes a quarterly Island Life magazine and has a very informative website https://www.keybiscaynechamber.org/ There are 264 businesses on Key Biscayne many of which are supported by tourism in addition to the local population so the number of offerings are greater than a town of its size could otherwise support:
HOSPITALITY – Key Biscayne has 2 hotels:
- Ritz Carlton – This 248 room 5-star luxury hotel with meeting, wedding and entertainment features is one of the most successful and top hotels in the chain. https://www.ritzcarlton.com/en/hotels/miami/key-biscayne?scid=45f93f1b-bd77-45c9-8dab-83b6a417f6fe
- Silver Sands Hotel – An older and relatively small motel style oceanfront hotel and cottages with an attractive pool and garden area is less costly than the Ritz Carlton. http://silversandskeybiscayne.net/
RESTAURANTS – Key Biscayne has 40+ Restaurants and Eateries. See details at: https://wordpressstorageaccount.blob.core.windows.net/wp-media/wp-content/uploads/sites/897/2019/06/MEDIA_KIT_KB_dining_guide.pdf
FINANCIAL AND PROFFESSIONAL OFFICES- In addition, the Village is home to more than the usual number of financial and professional serve businesses including:
– 8 Retail Banks
– 6 Money Management and Family Offices
– 3 Accounting Officers
– 6 Law Office
– 3 Travel Agencies
FOOD SHOPPING – In the Village there are several shopping choices:
– One modern 40,000 sq. ft. Supermarket which is elevated allowing shaded and sheltered parking underneath.
– A Gourmet and quality food market
– 5 butcher shops
– 6 bakeries
PHARMACIES – There are 3 pharmacies including a CVS plus a high-end druggist plus a specialty and compound pharmacy.
OTHER RETAIL – Key Biscayne has a dozen fashion shops mostly selling resort wear and casual clothing.
PERSONAL SERVICES – There are:
– 12 hair stylists and manicure businesses
– 4 day spa, waxing and message businesses
– 3 yoga and meditation businesses
– 5 exercise, private gym and palette studies
– 6 tutoring, private educational and music businesses
MEDICAL – There are 2 major hospital chains that have fully staffed clinics where their general medical doctors are always there plus specialists visit regularly. These are:
- Mt. Sinai Hospital – https://www.msmc.com/mount-sinai-medica-center-main-campus/
- Baptist Health – https://baptisthealth.net/en/facilities/urgent-care-centers/pages/key-biscayne-express-care-baptist-health.aspx
In addition, there are several medical offices offering numerous specialties in addition to the hospital facilities. Some are as follows:
– 7 dental offices
– 6 dermatologists and plastic surgeons
– 1 optometrist
– 5 pediatricians and general practice medical offices
ATTRACTIONS ON KEY BISCAYNE AND NEIGHBORING VIRGINIA KEYIn addition to the activities to enjoy in the Village itself there are the following activities and attraction to be enjoyed on the Rickenbacker Causeway leading to the Village:
MIAMI SEAQUARIUM – This is South Florida’s aquarium build directly on the water that houses a large and diverse collection of marine life. https://www.miamiseaquarium.com/
ROSENSTIEN SCHOOL of MARINE and ATMOSPHERIC SCIENCE – Part of the University of Miami and adjoining the Seaquarium this world renowned educational and research institution in coordination with the US NOA facility next door form a research core which attract scientists and other experts from around the globe. https://www.rsmas.miami.edu/
VIRGINIA KEY BEACH AND PARK – This historic and popular beach has several additional amenities including a carousel, cabanas and sculpture park. https://virginiakeybeachpark.net/
MIAMI MARINE STADIUM EXHIBITION FACILITY – This area hosts the largest boat show in the world annually known as the Miami Boat Show. https://www.miamiboatshow.com/